Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Attack of the Weiner Dogs

I am one of those people who must love self punishment. That may seem like an odd statement, but let me elaborate.
About three years ago, my husband was deployed to Iraq. One of my good friends called me to tell me that her dog had just had puppies and wanted to know if I wanted one. The pups were miniature dachshunds and if you have ever seen one as a puppy you know why I did not have to give it a second thought. My friend told me that she had a cute little female picked out for me that was dappled, she went on and on about how cute and smart this dog was, so much more than the rest of the puppies. Yes, I know it was a shameless plea on my friends part, but it worked.
A few weeks later, I drove the two hours to my home town to pick up said puppy. It really was love at first site. She was adorable and I was so happy to have her. My plan was to give the dog to my boys for Easter, like I said their dad was in Iraq and it had been a difficult few months. I was hoping that a new animal to love would ease their pain and let's face it, they had been bugging me for months to get a dog.
That was three years ago, Delilah came home with us and has been a member of the family ever since. During this time, my husband went on another tour to Iraq, this time he was injured and spent months in the hospital. When he finally came home for good, he needed to have his right shoulder replaced because it was damaged in a mortar blast, but his other injuries where more serious so they put off the shoulder surgery until he was at home. Two days after the surgery, my husband told me he wanted another dog. Now I thought he must be out of his mind, or maybe the pain meds are making him delusional because I can barely keep up with the house, the kids, the husband, the doctors, and the one dog we already have. Like a good wife I ignored him and went to take a shower. When I got out of the shower, he called me into the living room (keep in mind that he is unable to get up and move on his own at this point so he had the "adorable pathetic" thing going for him), he used the Internet to find  a dog that was at a rescue shelter and had called about the dog, the dog was available and Tom wanted to go get him, right now.
After the boys came home from school, I loaded up the kids, loaded up my husband on pain killers, and made sure he would be comfortable by bringing him blankets and pillows. Then I drove an hour and a half to go get him his dog. He did a good job picking him out, he is a miniature dachshund too except he is red. Of course with our female being named Delilah, we had to call him Samson.
And ever since they have weaved their way into mischief and trouble. Whenever they hear a doorbell, whether it is on T.V. or in real life they both start barking. The UPS man said he was afraid to see what was on the other side of the door until we opened the door and he realized that it was just two little wiener dogs.
Life at our house at least, would just not be the same without those two little dogs. They annoy me when they bark at a leaf falling from the pecan tree outside, or when they want to go out for the third time in an hour. But when you come home and they are there waiting with tails wagging it makes me happy.
And that's life, at least how I see it,
-april

No comments:

Post a Comment